Want to make your trip to the YSC Summit a mini vacation? Discover Austin, Texas, and all of the wonderful sites the state’s capital has to offer. Start with this list of the best attractions throughout this extraordinary city plus how to experience the awesome SXSW Fest!
Looking to get to Austin on a dime? Check out our Austin Travel Blog.
- Free SXSW Events. We are lucky to share the Summit weekend with Austin’s world-famous South by Southwest (SXSW) Festival! You don’t have to buy a pricey ticket to experience the festival’s buzz, though. Take advantage of SXSW’s free live music, exhibitions and performances while in Austin. Many artists will perform at hotels throughout the city during this time, and you can even subscribe for free event email notifications (sample from 2018). It is a really special time to explore Austin!
- Texas State Capitol. Explore the Capitol Building and grounds with a free tour offered seven days a week. Learn about the history of Texas, the building and Texas legislature. On the Capitol grounds, you can find lush green spaces and historic war monuments.
- Graffiti Park at Castle Hills. This outdoor graffiti gallery is home to some of the most striking street art in Texas. Be sure to stop by for your next Instagram post!
- Take a Walk Down Lady Bird Lake. There’s a beautiful hiking and a biking trail along Lady Bird Lake, as well as a brand new boardwalk and pier. Enjoy the view of downtown Austin within a scenic and natural environment.
- Wander around SoCo. South Congress, or “SoCo” as locals call it, is a great area to experience the nightlife scene in Austin. Here you can find cool vintage shops, hip restaurants and a pop-up market that displays jewelry and artwork on Saturdays.
- Photograph Peacocks at Mayfield Park. This park contains a historic cottage, vast nature preserve, gardens and a wide array of wildlife. The astonishing peacocks in this park make this site one of Austin’s main tourist attractions.
- Tour the Governor’s Mansion. Declared a U.S. National Historic Landmark in 1974, this mansion is located right in the heart of downtown Austin. Free guided tours are held 2-4 pm on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. Make sure to book a reservation online!
- Blanton Museum of Art. This art museum – located on the campus of the University of Texas – is home to over 18,000 works of art from all eras of time. Enjoy temporary exhibitions, European art and contemporary modern art during your next visit to Austin.Teachers, military and children are free and students and seniors get a discount.
- Indulge in Food Truck Heaven. Austin is famous for its trailer park food truck scene. Visit The Picnic or South 1st Street and enjoy authentic Tex-Mex or a sweet treat with family or friends.
Got a minute? We’re thrilled to have an opportunity to speak at the 2019 South by Southwest conference about breast cancer in young adults.. We need your help to be chosen as a panel. Voting is open to the public, but you’ll need to create an account to “Vote Up” our panel, Decoding Breast Cancer in Young Women. HELP GET US TO SXSW but hurry voting ends Aug 30th.